Peanut Butter Krispies Layered Brownies
yield: 24 BROWNIES
prep time: 3 HOURS
cook time: 35 MINUTES
Dark Chocolate Brownies layered with mini Rolos and Peanut Butter Krispies. Thanks to Cook’s Illustrated for the delicious recipe for the brownie base!
FOR THE BROWNIES:
- 1/3 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp boiling water
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 12 oz mini Rolos (or equivalent in regular sized)
- 1 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 11.5oz bag milk chocolate morsels
- 2 cup crispy rice cereal
- Line a 13×9 baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cocoa powder with boiling water. Whisk until smooth. Add unsweetened chocolate and continue to whisk until melted. Add oil and melted butter, mixture may appear curdled. Add eggs, vanilla and sugar, whisking until fully combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in flour and salt just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, spreading into the corners of the pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Top with rolos in a single layer and return to oven for 3-5 minutes. Using a spatula, smooth melted Rolos over the top. Place on wire rack to begin cooling.
- In a medium saucepan, combine peanut butter, butter and milk chocolate. Heat over low and stir constantly until mixture is smooth. Fold in cereal. Spread over warm brownies and allow to cool completely.
- Once brownies have cooled, cover with foil and refrigerate for 2-4 hours (or overnight), allowing the top layer to harden. Cut into squares and enjoy!
**I use 1 1/2 bags (8oz each) stand-up packages of unwrapped mini Rolos. Feel free to use whatever candy you have on hand! **recipe adapted from Cook’s Illustrated Baking Book 2013