Apple Hand Pies
yield: 12-14 HAND PIES
prep time: 10 MINUTES, PLUS 10 MINUTES FOR GLAZE
cook time: 15-20 MINUTES
FOR THE HAND PIES:
- 1 box (14.1 oz) refrigerated pie crust (for two pies)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cup diced and peeled Crunch Pak apples (about 24-30 slices or 2 large apples)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 egg white, beaten
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Remove pie crusts from package and allow to come to room temperature while you prepare filling. Preheat oven to 425F.
- Dice and peel Crunch Pak apple slices. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Add apples, salt, nutmeg, brown sugar and cinnamon. Heat for about 5-10 minutes, until apples are soft, stirring occasionally.
- While apples are heating, unroll pie crusts and cut 6-7 circles from each crust (using a 4 inch biscuit cutter). You may have to roll scraps to get the extra circles. Set aside.
- After apples have softened, sprinkle in flour. Heat for an additional minute, stirring thoroughly.
- Using a 1 Tbsp scoop, drop apple mixture into center of each pie crust circle. Fold in half and pinch edges COMPLETELY. Fold pinch edges over. Poke hand pie with tines of a fork to prevent bursting.
- Beat egg white in a small bowl. Brush over the tops of each pie. Bake on a parchment paper lined baking sheet for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned.
- While pies are baking, whisk together the glaze ingredients. Remove cooked pies from baking sheet and drop in glaze, coating it completely. Return to parchment paper and allow to set, about 10 minutes. Enjoy warm or cold.