PREP TIME15 minutes
COOK TIME35 minutes
TOTAL TIME50 minutes
If you’re looking for the best Lemon Bars recipe, this one is it. Buttery shortbread crust with a sweet and tangy lemon filling!
FOR THE CRUST:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 powdered sugar
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest (about 1 lemon worth)
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Line an 8 x 8 inch (or 9″ square pan) with foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cut together the cold butter, all-purpose flour, and powdered sugar. Mixture may be crumbly. Press into bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Bake crust in oven for about 15 minutes.
- While crust is baking, make the lemon filling. Combine granulated sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Remove crust from oven and immediately pour mixture over the baked crust. Return baking pan to oven for an additional 20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Remove bars from oven. To make glaze, whisk together powdered sugar with lemon juice. Drizzle over warm bars. Cool completely then refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- When chilled, remove from pan by lifting the foil (or parchment) and cut into squares. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!