yield: 36 SERVINGS
prep time: 10 MINUTES
cook time: 25 MINUTES
A classic family recipe that is made for every occasion. Hanky Panky’s anyone? Flavorful pumpernickel bread topped with sausage and cheese, baked to a crisp!
- 36 slices dark pumpernickel party bread, one 12 ounce package, substitute rye if desired
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1/2 pound velveeta cheese
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, cook sausage until browned and crumbled. Drain off excess fat.
- Add velveeta and stir over low heat until melted and fully blended.
- If serving immediately, preheat oven to 425°F. Lay bread slices onto baking sheet. Spoon dollop of meat mixture onto bread and bake for about 15 minutes (oven times may vary).
- If assembling ahead of time, lay bread slices onto freezer safe baking sheet. Spoon dollop of meat mixture onto bread and place in freezer for about an hour. Remove and place frozen hanky pankies into a freezer safe Ziploc bag. Store until ready to serve. When serving, place frozen hanky pankies on a baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes.