Sausage Stuffed Shells
yield: 40-45 SHELLS
prep time: 30 MINUTES
cook time: 45-60 MINUTES
- 1 box (16 oz) large pasta shells
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 lb Italian sausage (no casings)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp worchestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1/2-1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 jars Prego Chunky Sauce
- Cook large shells pasta according to package directions. Once cooked, separate and place on parchment paper on counter. Set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, brown Italian sausage in a large skillet. Once browned, drain grease and return meat to skillet. Add in spinach, butter and onion. Saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add in salt, pepper, garlic salt, worcestershire, oregano, and hot sauce. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in parmesan cheese and 2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Using a large spoon, stuff each shell with sausage mixture, until all shells are stuffed. Place shells in ziploc bag and freeze until ready to use. When ready to cook, follow step 6 below.
- When ready to bake, pour about 2 cup of Prego sauce in bottom of baking dish. Choose a dish size that will fit the number of shells you are going to be cooking. For my family, we each eat about 2-3 shells per meal. On top of sauce, add shells. Cover dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes in a 350F oven. Remove foil and add remaining 2 cup cheese. Bake an additional 5-15 minutes, until sauce on bottom is bubbly and mixture inside shells is fully heated, and cheese is melted.