Yield: 8 Servings
Prep Time20 minutesCook Time55 minutesTotal Time1 hour 15 minutes
Flaky pie crust filled with delicious apples. This classic Apple Pie recipe is a family favorite!
- 2 pie crusts (homemade or store-bought)
- 4-5 medium apples, cored and sliced thin
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- 1 Tbsp water (for egg wash)
- 1 Tbsp coarse sugar, optional, for topping
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place sliced apples into a large bowl. Add sugars, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss well to combine. Set aside for a few minutes.
- Make the egg wash in a small bowl by whisking the egg with water. Set aside.
- Roll out pie crust dough and place in a pie plate, trim edges if desired. Carefully pour the apple mixture into the uncooked pie shell.
- Place dabs of butter around the top of the apples.
- Place the second pie crust over the top and trim edges, crimping first to seal them together.
- Brush the top of the pie crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 35-40 minutes more.
- Allow pie to cool before slicing.