Indian Potatoes and Cauliflower (Aloo Gobi
)A daily household dish in India, made in every house and cherished by each and every person. This authentic dish is made with tomatoes and onions flavored with the aromas of the Indian spices. This is cherished with phulka (roti, Indian wheat bread). There are various versions of aloo gobi, this is my take on it. Please do try this recipe and comment. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with a lemon wedge. Serve with hot phulka or chapati or rice and curds.Prep:20 minsCook:30 minsTotal:50 minsServings:4Yield:4 servings
- ¼ cup vegetable oil for frying, or as needed
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup small cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ¾ teaspoon roasted ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 medium onion, sliced lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons red chile powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons garam masala
- ¾ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch white sugar, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon water, or to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground fenugreek (menthi powder)
- Step 1Add 1/8 inch of oil to a skillet over medium-high heat. Shallow-fry potatoes and cauliflower separately until light brown, 5 to 7 minutes each. Transfer to a bowl.
- Step 2Add 1 tablespoon oil to the same skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add roasted cumin to the hot oil; saute for 1 minute. Add garlic and green chile pepper; saute for 1 minute. Add onion and ginger garlic paste; cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Step 3Add tomato and season with salt. Cook until tomato is soft, about 5 minutes. Add chile powder, garam masala, turmeric, cumin, and coriander. Taste and if mixture is a little sour, add sugar. Cook for about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, add water, and cook until garam masala is cooked well.
- Step 4Add reserved potatoes and cauliflower. Mix well and taste, adding lemon juice if needed. Add fenugreek and cook, covered, for about 1 minute.
Per Serving:347 calories; protein 5.6g 11% DV; carbohydrates 41.6g 13% DV; fat 18.2g 28% DV; cholesterol 0mg; sodium 161.1mg 6% DV.© Copyright 2020 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.