One of the most popular Japanese dishes (authentic recipe). The tasty ginger and rice wine marinade can be used for meat or fish. This recipe can also be made on the grill using the marinade as a basting sauce. Serve hot with rice or noodles.Prep:20 minsCook:20 minsAdditional:1 dayTotal:1 dayServings:4Yield:4 servings
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- ⅔ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake
- ¼ cup mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Step 1Rinse chicken, and pat dry. In a glass baking dish or bowl, stir together the ginger, garlic, sugar, soy sauce, sake and mirin. Place the chicken into the mixture to marinate. Refrigerate, covered for several hours, or overnight.
- Step 2Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Place chicken pieces into the pan skin-side down, reserving marinade. Cook until light brown, then flip and brown the other side. Drain off grease, and pour the marinade into the pan.
- Step 3Cover, and reduce heat to low, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the lid and continue cooking, shaking the skillet occasionally, until marinade is reduced to a nice thick sauce and chicken pieces are fully cooked.
© Copyright 2020 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 12/01/2020