Grandma’s Old-Fashioned Cake Donuts
This is a recipe handed down from my Grandma Thayer. My family tradition is to make these old-fashioned cake donuts Christmas morning. Enjoy! Roll warm donuts in sugar and cinnamon, if desired.Prep:20 minsCook:5 minsAdditional:25 minsTotal:50 minsServings:6Yield:6 donuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- Step 1Beat eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer until whipped to a creamy color. Mix in sugar gradually until well blended. Mix in buttermilk and vanilla extract. Mix in butter.
- Step 2Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt together in a separate bowl. Beat 1/2 of the mixture into the sugar mixture until well blended; beat in remaining 1/2. Let batter rest for 20 minutes.
- Step 3Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Step 4Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead as little as possible until it comes together. Roll dough out using a rolling pin until it is 3/8-inch thick; cut into donut shapes.
- Step 5Lower donuts carefully into the hot oil and cook until light brown, 2 to 3 minutes, turning once. Remove from oil and let cool on a wire rack.
© Copyright 2020 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 12/02/2020