Dutch Oven Southwestern Chicken Pot Pie
This is an easy weeknight, one-pot meal with lots of flavor and nutrition. It’s basically a black bean and chicken chili with a layer of cornbread crust on top, all cooked in a Dutch oven.Prep:25 minsCook:35 minsTotal:1 hrServings:6Yield:6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 bunch scallions, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon hot smoked paprika, or more to taste
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (8.5 ounce) package dry corn muffin mix
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 egg
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Step 2Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink inside, 5 to 7 minutes. Add carrots, celery, bell pepper, and scallions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, black beans, chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion powder, paprika, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes more.
- Step 3While mixture simmers, combine cornbread mix with milk and egg in a bowl.
- Step 4Remove Dutch oven from heat and spread cornbread batter on top of chicken mixture to form the crust.
- Step 5Place Dutch oven in the preheated oven and bake until cornbread is golden and beginning to brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
© Copyright 2020 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 12/29/2020