Easy and Delicious Slow Cooker Cassoulet
I am married to a chef, but I can’t cook. So I make a lot of food in my slow cooker when it’s my night to cook. We love France and French cooking, and this recipe is a wonderfully simple, elegant cassoulet that even I can make and he loves. Wonderful for cold nights and dinner parties. Double the recipe for leftovers – it melds overnight very well.Prep:25 minsCook:4 hrs 20 minsTotal:4 hrs 45 minsServings:6Yield:6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 slices turkey bacon
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- ¼ pound fully-cooked smoked sausage, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 (15 ounce) cans great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Step 1Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook bacon until crisp and brown, turning often, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels; crumble when cool. Set bacon aside.
- Step 2Cook and stir onion in the same skillet until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in chicken, sausage, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, and black pepper; cook until chicken pieces are browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in tomato paste.
- Step 3Transfer chicken mixture to a slow cooker and stir in crumbled turkey bacon, great Northern beans, and diced tomatoes. Cover the cooker, set on Low, and cook until cassoulet is thickened and the chicken is very tender, 4 to 5 hours. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 02/19/2021