BLT Pasta Carbonara
The addition of summer tomatoes and spinach to this traditional dish brings things to a whole new level. The trick to the recipe is preparation, have all the ingredients ready to go as it comes together as quickly as it takes to boil the pasta.Prep:15 minsCook:20 minsTotal:35 minsServings:6Yield:6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ pound sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 13 ½ ounces whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, stems removed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- Step 1Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon; cook, stirring occasionally until crisp and fat has rendered, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon and set aside. Pour bacon fat into a small bowl and set aside, but do not wash the skillet.
- Step 2Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Step 3Mix Parmesan cheese, eggs, egg yolk, and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper together in a bowl.
- Step 4Cook elbow macaroni in the boiling water, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain into a colander set over a large, heatproof bowl. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water and pour the rest out, keeping the now-heated bowl in place.
- Step 5Return 1 teaspoon reserved bacon fat to the large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Cook 30 seconds more and add tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through but not falling apart, about 5 minutes. Stir in spinach.
- Step 6Add cooked bacon, cooked tomato mixture, and cooked pasta to the heated bowl. Whisk 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking water into the egg mixture. Pour this over the pasta mixture in the bowl and toss for 3 minutes. Thin sauce if necessary by adding additional reserved cooking water. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan cheese.
© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 02/27/2021