Good tasting, simple recipe for New England’s favorite dish fish and chips. Serve with malt vinegar, lemon, or tartar sauce.Prep:10 minsCook:25 minsAdditional:10 minsTotal:45 minsServings:4Yield:4 servings
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 1 ½ pounds cod fillets
- Step 1Place potatoes in a medium-size bowl of cold water. In a separate medium-size mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Stir in the milk and egg; stir until the mixture is smooth. Let mixture stand for 20 minutes.
- Step 2Preheat the oil in a large pot or electric skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Step 3Fry the potatoes in the hot oil until they are tender. Drain them on paper towels.
- Step 4Dredge the fish in the batter, one piece at a time, and place them in the hot oil. Fry until the fish is golden brown. If necessary, increase the heat to maintain the 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) temperature. Drain well on paper towels.
- Step 5Fry the potatoes again for 1 to 2 minutes for added crispness.
We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 03/23/2021