Baked AlaskaCake and ice cream dessert topped with meringue — vary ice cream flavors for your signature dish. I like cherry-burgundy ice cream!Prep:20 minsCook:40 minsAdditional:10 hrsTotal:11 hrsServings:16Yield:1 – 8 inch round Alaska
- 2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 8 egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- Step 1Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round mixing bowl or deep 8-inch square container with foil. Spread ice cream in container, packing firmly. Cover and freeze 8 hours or until firm.
- Step 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8×8 inch pan.
- Step 3Prepare cake mix with egg and almond extract. Pour into prepared pan.
- Step 4Bake in preheated oven according to package instructions, until center of cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Step 5Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, salt and sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Step 6Line a baking sheet with parchment or heavy brown paper. Place cake in center. Turn molded ice cream out onto cake. Quickly and prettily spread meringue over cake and ice cream, all the way to paper to seal. Return to freezer 2 hours.
- Step 7Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Step 8Bake the Alaska on the lowest shelf, 8 to 10 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve at once.
© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 04/07/2021