Okinawan-Style Pad ThaiThis is a famous dish popularized in Thailand. Although the recipe varies from cook to cook and region to region, this is a good attempt at recreating what I ate from Thai-owned hole-in-the-wall restaurants in Okinawa, Japan. Key to the flavor are the sugar levels, unsalted peanuts, peanut oil, and either oyster or fish sauce.Prep:10 minsCook:20 minsAdditional:10 minsTotal:40 minsServings:8Yield:8 servings
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- 1 (12 ounce) package dried rice noodles
- cold water, as needed
- ½ cup peanut oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 12 ounces chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 ½ tablespoons white sugar, or more to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ cups dry-roasted, unsalted peanuts
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried ground Asian radish
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
- ½ cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Step 1Whisk together rice wine vinegar, 1/2 cup sugar, oyster sauce, and tamarind pulp in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes; remove from heat and set aside.
- Step 2Place rice noodles in a large bowl and pour enough cold water to cover noodles. Allow to soften, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Step 3Heat peanut oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir eggs and garlic in hot oil until eggs are softly cooked, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Step 4Stir chicken and noodles into eggs and cook until chicken is no longer pink in the center and juices run clear, about 5 minutes.
- Step 5Pour rice wine vinegar sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt into the noodle mixture.
- Step 6Stir peanuts, ground radish, and chili powder into noodle mixture; cook until peanuts soften slightly, about 5 minutes. Add more sugar or chili powder if desired.
- Step 7Remove from heat and toss chives with noodle mixture. Top with bean sprouts and garnish with lime wedges.
Per Serving: 597 calories; protein 21.1g; carbohydrates 61.6g; fat 31g; cholesterol 117.2mg; sodium 635.3mg.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 04/23/2021