Idaho-Style Finger SteaksYummy, highly seasoned steak nuggets, deep fried and served with Ranch dressing — just like in the fast food joints in Idaho in the ’70’s! I missed these so much that I kept playing with the ingredients until I finally came up with this perfect re-creation of the real thing. A taste of the old times when we didn’t know how bad deep frying was for us! Serve with ranch dressing, or your favorite bbq sauce, steak sauce, or blue cheese dressing!Prep:30 minsCook:10 minsAdditional:3 hrsTotal:3 hrs 40 minsServings:4Yield:4 servings
- 1 egg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning, such as McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ pounds boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 2 1/2 x 1/4 inch strips
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups canola oil for deep frying
- Step 1Beat together the egg, buttermilk, grill seasoning, and 1/2 cup of flour in a large bowl until smooth. Add the beef, and toss until well coated. Cover with plastic wrap, and place into the refrigerator to marinate at least 2 hours.
- Step 2Sift 2 1/2 cups flour with the garlic powder, salt, and pepper into a large bowl. Remove steak strips from buttermilk batter and allow excess to drip off. Dredge each piece with seasoned flour and place onto a baking sheet. Place in the freezer and freeze until firm, 1 hour to overnight.
- Step 3Heat oil to 370 degrees F (185 degrees C) in a deep fryer or cast iron skillet.
- Step 4Drop a few frozen steak pieces into the hot oil and fry until golden brown on the outside, about 5 minutes. Do not overcrowd the frying oil, and do not allow the steak strips to thaw before they are fried. Once golden brown, remove to drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Per Serving: 826 calories; protein 43.7g; carbohydrates 80.1g; fat 35.4g; cholesterol 142.2mg; sodium 1588.3mg.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 05/04/2021