Pantry Chicken CasseroleUsing pantry items plus a couple of fresh items, you can create a cheesy, comforting casserole your whole family will love. Though it does include RO*TEL® and a can of mild green chile peppers, it’s not spicy, but if you like the heat, choose hot RO*TEL® and peppers. This pantry chicken casserole reheats well, too, but I had to hide it, or there would have been no night #2! A crusty bread and a green salad complete this easy pantry meal.Prep:15 minsCook:40 minsTotal:55 minsServings:10Yield:10 servings
- cooking spray
- 1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper – stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (8 ounce) packages processed cheese food (such as Velveeta®), cubed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (such as RO*TEL®), undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild chopped green chile peppers
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Step 2Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender yet firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain.
- Step 3While the pasta is cooking, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Step 4Stir in processed cheese food, diced tomatoes and juice, diced tomatoes and green chiles with juice, and mild chile peppers. Cook and stir until cheese has melted, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cooked pasta and chicken. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Step 5Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, about 20 minutes. Serve warm.
You may substitute margarine for butter, any shelf-stable processed cheese food for Velveeta(R), and two 12 1/2-ounce cans cooked, flaked chicken for leftover chicken.
You can use two 4-ounce cans sliced mushrooms instead of fresh mushrooms–just add them when you add the tomatoes.
Per Serving: 502 calories; protein 29.7g; carbohydrates 42g; fat 24.1g; cholesterol 91.7mg; sodium 948.9mg.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 05/07/2021