Carne Asada Tacos or Al Pastor TacosI have had great success preparing tacos this way. I bought this recipe from a taqueria owner (taco restaurant) in Mexico City. I am translating the directions. It can be used for beef, pork, or just about any other type of meat. The spice mix on this recipe gives meat a really excellent flavor.Prep:25 minsCook:15 minsAdditional:6 hrsTotal:6 hrs 40 minsServings:6Yield:6 servings
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole cloves
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ (7 ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or to taste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon water, or as needed
- 24 (5 inch) corn tortillas
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bunch radishes, halved
- Step 1Place 1/2 chopped onion, 2 cloves garlic, parsley, oregano, paprika, anise seed, black pepper, cumin, sage, thyme, bay leaves, cloves, soy sauce, vinegar, orange juice, and lime juice in a blender; pulse until a very well-blended paste is achieved, scraping down sides as needed, 3 to 5 minutes. Spread paste on both sides of the flank steak. Wrap steak in plastic and refrigerate at least 6 hours to overnight.
- Step 2Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil the grate. Remove excess marinade from flank steak.
- Step 3Grill steak until it begins to firm and is hot and slightly pink in the center, about 8 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 140 degrees F (60 degrees C). Chop steak into small pieces and transfer to a platter; cover and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Step 4Place 1 chopped onion, tomatoes, chipotle peppers, and 3 cloves garlic in a blend; pulse until desired consistency. Add water if the salsa becomes too thick. Transfer salsa to a bowl.
- Step 5Heat tortillas in a microwave safe plate until warm, about 1 minute.
- Step 6Serve beef over stacks of two corn tortillas with salsa and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 chopped onion, radishes, and cilantro.
You may also use pork loin or pork chops. This recipe works really well with almost any variety or cut of meat. Thinly cut steaks work best with the tacos.
If you want to blend the flavors even more, you can simmer the paste in a saucepan stirring constantly and allow to cool. Filter marinade through a fine strainer and rub on both sides of steak.
You can tinker with this recipe to make the marinade as strong or as weak as you wish. You can double up or cut the marinade ingredients in half or increase the amount of any particular herb or spice. I find that the flavor of the meat in this recipe is almost addicting and I always end up grilling about ten pounds of beef so I make extra marinade. The longer you marinade the meat, the better.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 05/17/2021