Corn and Bacon SaladThis is a great recipe that I’ve modified over the years. The flavors are terrific and the ingredients and ratios are very flexible. Adapt to make it your own specialty. Great for picnics and pot lucks. This recipe is very flexible. It is a great, clean-out-the-refrigerator kind of dish. It also stores well and actually tastes better the next day. Serve warm or chilled.Prep:15 minsCook:25 minsTotal:40 minsServings:4Yield:4 servings
- 5 ears corn, shucked
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- ½ pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into cubes
- salt to taste
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
- Step 1Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the corn and cook until slightly soft but still crisp, about 5 minutes. Cut corn kernels from the cobs; discard cobs.
- Step 2Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir bacon in hot oil until browned and crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, reserving drippings in the skillet.
- Step 3Cook potatoes, stirring occasionally, in the same skillet over medium heat until potatoes are golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add red bell pepper and salt; cook and stir until peppers are tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Step 4Stir corn kernels into potato mixture and cook until corn is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Step 5Pour corn-potato mixture into a large bowl. Add bacon, red onion, cider vinegar, and red pepper flakes; toss to combine.
You can substitute 3 cups thawed frozen corn for the fresh corn. You can substitute any sweet pepper for the red bell pepper.
You can substitute rice vinegar for the cider vinegar. You can substitute onion powder for the red onion.
Per Serving: 217 calories; protein 7.8g; carbohydrates 35.4g; fat 6.8g; cholesterol 7.4mg; sodium 178.4mg.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 05/17/2021