Classic Cuban Midnight (Medianoche) SandwichThis is one of the more famous sandwiches straight out of the island of Cuba. This recipe came from my uncle who used to work at a restaurant in Pinar del Rio, Cuba and now works at a Cuban cafeteria here in Miami. This sandwich is best served with fried plantain chips and a cold mamey milkshake!Prep:15 minsCook:8 minsTotal:23 minsServings:4Yield:4 sandwiches
- 4 sweet bread rolls
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup prepared mustard
- 1 pound thinly sliced cooked ham
- 1 pound thinly sliced fully cooked pork
- 1 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 1 cup dill pickle slices
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Step 1Split the sandwich rolls in half, and spread mustard and mayonnaise liberally onto the cut sides. On each sandwich, place and equal amount of Swiss cheese, ham and pork in exactly that order. Place a few pickles onto each one, and put the top of the roll onto the sandwich. Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Step 2Press each sandwich in a sandwich press heated to medium-high heat. If a sandwich press is not available, use a large skillet over medium-high heat, and press the sandwiches down using a sturdy plate or skillet. Some indoor grills may be good for this also. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, keeping sandwiches pressed. If using a skillet, you may want to flip them once for even browning. Slice diagonally and serve hot.
© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 05/22/2021