Grandma’s Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage, Slow Cooker VariationThis is a recipe passed down from my great-grandmother, with a few shortcuts she approved of.Prep:25 minsCook:7 hrs 14 minsAdditional:5 minsTotal:7 hrs 44 minsServings:8Yield:8 servings
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¾ cup uncooked white rice, rinsed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (32 ounce) can tomato juice
- Step 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook cabbage in boiling water until outer leaves pull away easily from the head, 3 to 5 minutes. Separate leaves and let cool. Reserve 1 1/2 cup cooking water.
- Step 2Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in wet rice; cook and stir until moisture evaporates, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool, about 5 minutes.
- Step 3Mix beef, sausage, and egg together in a large bowl. Stir in cooled rice mixture.
- Step 4Place a golfball-sized amount of the beef mixture on the ribbed end of a cabbage leaf; roll up, tucking in the sides. Repeat with remaining beef mixture and cabbage leaves.
- Step 5Place rolls seam-side down in a slow cooker. Cover with tomato juice. Pour reserved cooking water on top.
- Step 6Cook on High for 30 minutes. Switch to Low and cook for 6 1/2 hours.
Substitute vegetable juice for the tomato juice if desired.
If cooking on the stove, boil in a large pot for 30 to 45 minutes.
Per Serving: 403 calories; protein 22.4g; carbohydrates 30.6g; fat 21.7g; cholesterol 91.2mg; sodium 884mg.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 05/24/2021