Kris’ Amazing Shredded Mexican BeefMy husband grew up in southern California, and he says this shredded Mexican beef is the best he’s ever had. Use it in burritos, tacos, salads and more.By Kris RossPrep:25 minsCook:8 hrs 20 minsTotal:8 hrs 45 minsServings:12Yield:12 servings
- 1 (4 pound) beef bottom round roast or other lean roast
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or to taste
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- Step 1Trim the roast of any excess fat, and cut into four pieces. Rub with black pepper, and place into a slow cooker. Add the onions, green chiles, chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chipotle peppers, and beef bouillon. Pour in enough water to cover 1/3 of the roast.
- Step 2Cover, and cook on High until the meat begins to fall apart, about 8 hours. Add water if needed to keep the roast from drying out.
- Step 3Turn the slow cooker to Low, and remove meat to a large bowl with a slotted spoon. Shred the meat into bite-sized pieces using two forks. Return the meat to the slow cooker; cook about 20 minutes to reheat before serving.
If you’re unsure of how spicy you want this, start with 1/2 can chipotles. If you cut the recipe in 1/2 (2 lb. roast) keep everything except the chipotles the same. Use 1/4 can chipotles.
Per Serving: 338 calories; protein 31.2g; carbohydrates 4.3g; fat 20.8g; cholesterol 96.8mg; sodium 426.4mg.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 07/19/2021