Grandmother Stougaard’s Caramel Pecan Sweet RollsThis is an Stougaard old family favorite. Not the easiest to make, but well worth the trouble. Gooey and sweet. Best eaten fresh from the oven. I usually double the recipe, because if you go to the trouble to make yeast rolls–make lots. Milk can also be warmed in the microwave.By SnufflesPrep:30 minsCook:30 minsAdditional:2 hrs 30 minsTotal:3 hrs 30 minsServings:12Yield:12 rolls
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup margarine
- ⅛ cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 1 (.25 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup pecan halves
- Step 1Pour the milk into a small saucepan, and set over medium heat. Heat just until a skin starts to form on the top, then remove from the stove, and stir in salt and 1/4 cup margarine. Allow to cool to lukewarm.
- Step 2Place 1/8 cup of warm water in a small bowl. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the surface, and let stand until foamy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Step 3In a large bowl, stir together the cooled milk mixture and the yeast for 2 minutes using an electric mixer on medium speed. Add egg, and mix well. Use a large wooden spoon to stir in flour 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition until the mixture forms a dough. Knead on a floured surface, adding more flour if necessary, until dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, and turn once to coat the top. Cover, and let rise until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Step 4Punch down dough, and let rest on the counter while you prepare the caramel topping. In a medium bowl, mix together the corn syrup, 1 1/2 tablespoons of water, 3 tablespoons of margarine and brown sugar until smooth. Spread an even layer onto the bottom of a 9×9 inch baking dish. Place pecan halves upside down in rows over the sugar mixture. Set aside.
- Step 5On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to a 9×12 inch rectangle Spread with 2 tablespoons of margarine. Mix together 1/4 cup of sugar with the cinnamon; sprinkle over the margarine. Roll the dough up starting at the long end to form a log. Pinch the seam together to seal. Cut the roll into 1 inch rounds. Place the rounds into the prepared baking dish. Set in a warm place to rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Step 6Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake rolls for 20 to 25 minutes in the oven, until golden brown. Invert baking pan onto a cutting board or a clean cookie sheet while still warm so the caramel topping is on top.
Per Serving: 294 calories; protein 4.3g; carbohydrates 42g; fat 12.6g; cholesterol 16.3mg; sodium 209.3mg.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 07/23/2021