Shipwreck DinnerIt’s not pretty but, it’s a tasty, busy-night, kid-friendly meal. It’s not ‘gourmet,’ but it’s hot filling and easy. The prep time is generally limited to how fast your can opener works and how hard it is to unwrap your meat. The big bonus is that it’s a complete one-pot meal with no chopping, unless you want to.By BcsgibsonPrep:10 minsCook:20 minsTotal:30 minsServings:4Yield:4 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (7.25 ounce) package macaroni and cheese mix
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt (such as LAWRY’S®), or to taste
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- Step 1Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir beef in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Step 2Stir pasta and cheese mixture from the macaroni and cheese package into the beef. Add tomatoes, milk, peas, and corn to the beef mixture; stir. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, place a cover on the skillet and cook at a simmer until the noodles are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Step 3Season the dish with seasoned salt. Stir about half of the Cheddar cheese into dish to melt. Top with remaining cheese.
So this is the good version, but the better one would use the pasta shells and cheese with the ready-to-apply cheese stuff. It’s going to be essentially the same, still add the milk as you’ll need it along with the juice from the tomatoes to cook the noodles.
For variety you could add Ro*tel(R) instead of plain tomatoes and use one cup of frozen prepared fajita veggies and some taco seasoning to make a “Gulf of Mexico Shipwreck.” Italian seasoning, garlic, onions, and mozzarella would make it a “Sicilian Shipwreck.” You get the idea: the combinations are pretty well unlimited.
Although the recipe calls for frozen vegetables and uncooked ground meat, leftovers work just as well.
Use Creole-style seasoned salt if you like a bit of spice in your easy dinners.
Per Serving: 636 calories; protein 42.9g; carbohydrates 55g; fat 26.7g; cholesterol 116mg; sodium 1107.9mg.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 07/27/2021