Gluten-Free Angel Food CakeI have been making this for about 2 years and I have made it over 6 times at the time of publishing. Cut with a clean serrated knife, wiping the blade every few cuts.By ChristinePrep:25 minsCook:50 minsAdditional:1 hr 5 minsTotal:1 hr 80 minsServings:10Yield:1 10-inch cake
- 1 cup white rice flour
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 18 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Step 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Step 2Sift rice flour, powdered sugar, and xanthan gum 3 times with a sieve.
- Step 3Beat egg whites on high speed in a very large glass, metal, or ceramic bowl with high sides until foamy. When they start to get fluffy, add cream of tartar and salt. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Mix in white sugar and vanilla.
- Step 4Dollop some egg whites into a very large, flat bowl, like a punch bowl. Sprinkle some flour mixture on top. Continue to layer egg whites with the flour mixture, then gently fold together. Spoon batter into a round, 2-part angel food cake pan.
- Step 5Bake until the top is golden brown and a knife comes out clean when inserted in the center, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Step 6Remove from the oven and let rest for no longer than 5 minutes, then immediately flip it upside down and rest it on a wine bottle until completely cool, 1 to 2 hours.
- Step 7When cool, turn the cake over and run a knife around the edge if needed to loosen. Flip over onto a cake stand and remove from the pan.
Do not use extra-large egg whites, and do not use a Bundt(R) pan.
Per Serving: 230 calories; protein 7.4g; carbohydrates 49.9g; fat 0.2g; sodium 117.4mg.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 09/20/2021