Slow Cooker Beef BourguignonThe secret to beef bourguignon? Slow cooking! This is a slow cooker beef bourguignon that tastes delicious after a long, slow simmer. It is even better if you make it ahead and let the flavors meld overnight.By stellaPrep:15 minsCook:6 hrs 30 minsTotal:6 hrs 45 minsServings:6Yield:6 servings
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 (750 milliliter) bottle red wine
- 6 carrots, chopped into large chunks
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 large bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Step 1Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef stew meat and cook until browned, 5 to 8 minutes. Brown beef in batches if necessary, making sure to not overcrowd the pan, otherwise the beef won’t brown. Remove browned beef from the skillet and place in the slow cooker.
- Step 2Add onion to the skillet. Cook and stir until softened and beginning to take some color, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer onion to the slow cooker.
- Step 3Place skillet back on medium-high heat and pour in half of the wine. Bring the wine to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat and carefully pour into the slow cooker along with the remaining wine. Add carrots, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper.
- Step 4Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
If the sauce is too thin at the end of cooking, thicken by simmering in the slow cooker with the lid off until reduced. You can also thicken using 1 to 2 tablespoons of flour; mix 1/4 cup of the sauce with flour until no lumps remain, then whisk into the slow cooker and bring to a simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
Per Serving: 453 calories; protein 28.9g; carbohydrates 12.6g; fat 21.4g; cholesterol 95.1mg; sodium 150.7mg.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 09/20/2021