Southern Grits CasseroleIf you’re from the South you will definitely love this recipe, which includes grits, eggs, sausage, and cheese. When I cook it, I place it in the slow cooker to stay warm. There is nothing worse than cold grits.By Ella BaldwinPrep:15 minsCook:45 minsTotal:60 minsServings:16Yield:16 servings
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked grits
- ½ cup butter, divided
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 12 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking dish.
- Step 2Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan, and stir in grits. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 5 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed. Mix in 1/2 the butter and 2 cups cheese until melted.
- Step 3In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage until evenly browned. Drain, and mix into the grits. Beat together the eggs and milk in a bowl, and pour into the skillet. Lightly scramble, then mix into the grits.
- Step 4Pour the grits mixture into the prepared baking dish. Dot with remaining butter, and top with remaining cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Step 5Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned.
Per Serving: 403 calories; protein 16.5g; carbohydrates 16.8g; fat 29.9g; cholesterol 201.8mg; sodium 458.9mg.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 09/26/2021