Jazzy New Orleans ChickenThis is one of my families favorite chicken dishes. It’s easy, and everything is made in one pot. This mom likes that.By CharlenePrep:20 minsCook:25 minsTotal:45 minsServings:8Yield:8 servings
- 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, skin removed and cut into pieces
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ pound smoked sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 ½ cups long-grain white rice
- 2 ¼ cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1 lemon – sliced, for garnish
- Step 1Dredge chicken in flour, turning to coat all over.
- Step 2In large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken pieces about 8 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
- Step 3Combine sausage, garlic, onion, peppers, tomatoes, sugar, thyme, oregano, salt, and allspice in the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until peppers are softened.
- Step 4Stir in rice, and add stock. Nestle chicken into rice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cover. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and juices run clear when chicken is pierced. Serve sprinkled with parsley. Garnish with lemon slices if you like.
Per Serving: 610 calories; protein 22.5g; carbohydrates 39.3g; fat 39.9g; cholesterol 78.8mg; sodium 565.7mg.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 09/28/2021