Winter Squash RollsThis recipe is always a real hit! Every time I make these I get asked for the recipe. People can’t believe it when I tell them that they’re made from winter squash. These delicious rolls taste best fresh out of the oven.By TRACEY_MITCHELLPrep:30 minsCook:45 minsAdditional:1 hr 30 minsTotal:1 hr 105 minsServings:12Yield:12 rolls
- 1 ½ cups cubed winter squash
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ cup shortening
- Step 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small saucepan, cover squash cubes with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and mash.
- Step 2In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine 5 cups flour, sugar and salt. Stir in the yeast mixture, shortening, squash and milk. Mix well. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Step 3Divide the dough into twelve equal pieces and form into rounds. Place the rounds in a lightly greased 13×9 inch baking pan. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Step 4Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Per Serving: 363 calories; protein 7.9g; carbohydrates 61.2g; fat 9.6g; cholesterol 1.6mg; sodium 399.1mg.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 10/07/2021