One Skillet Mexican QuinoaWith a large family, I love these one skillet dishes where, for at least 15 minutes, I can ‘set it and forget it!’ And the kids love it! Serve it for Cinco de Mayo or any night of the week!By The Gruntled GourmandPrep:15 minsCook:25 minsTotal:40 minsServings:4Yield:4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup yellow corn
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 avocado – peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Step 1Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute jalapeno pepper and garlic in hot oil until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Step 2Stir black beans, tomatoes, yellow corn, quinoa, and chicken broth into skillet; season with red pepper flakes, chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, cover the skillet with a lid, reduce heat to low, and simmer until quinoa is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed, about 20 minutes. Stir avocado, lime juice, and cilantro into quinoa until combined.
For a little more heat, stir in 1 tablespoon of Sriracha sauce. For a vegetarian dish, use vegetable stock instead of chicken.
Per Serving: 450 calories; protein 16.5g; carbohydrates 67.1g; fat 14.9g; cholesterol 1.5mg; sodium 1098.5mg.© Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved.Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 10/21/2021